FIYAHCON is a virtual convention which includes communication avenues such as the FIYAHCON Discord server, social media presences via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, the FIYAHCON website and venues associated with event programming. We are dedicated to assuring that the use of and access to FIYAHCON content is free of all forms of harassment, intimidation and discrimination on the basis of race, age, sex, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, religion, sexual orientation, or citizenship.
FIYAHCON values our disabled community members, and to that effect, we are implementing a number of measures to ensure our content is as accessible as possible to all who wish to take part in it.
On the FIYAHCON website, you may access an accessibility settings menu by tapping the purple square icon along the right side of your screen:
The menu allows you to do things like increase and decrease the size of text, adjust colors, and enter focus modes for readability on the website.
The 2021 event is hosted by Airmeet. Participation in breakout sessions hosted in the Lounge area can be done by video or by text-based chat. A series of Calm Rooms will also be arranged and made available for people in need of low-sensory social environments. FIYAHCON 2021’s Calm Rooms are sponsored by the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and include their Kelp Forest and Moon Jelly cams. Just look for them in the event Schedule on Airmeet.
Airmeet captioning is provided by AI and as such will likely contain errors. FIYAHCON will add transcripts to all content being added to the Archive after the event.
Captions in Airmeet
Thank you to Norwescon for compiling these alternatives.
Airmeet has built-in support for closed captioning in sessions. To turn it on:
- Join a session;
- Click the CC button at the bottom of the screen; and
- Sit back and read!
Known issues with Airmeet-provided captions:
Airmeet does not support captions anywhere except within Sessions;
- Captions may be time-delayed for speakers with low bandwidth connections; and
- When a viewer has captions turned on, their screen will no longer display multiple people—they can only see the window of the current speaker.
In the Lounge
If you need closed captioning in the Lounge, or if you are having difficulties with how captions display in Sessions, the Google Chrome web browser supports live captioning as of March 2021. Instructions on how to enable it may be found here: Google Chrome for Desktop Gains Live Captions Feature for Audio and Video
- These caption settings are only supported on the Google Chrome desktop application, version 89 or later
- Captions do not appear to be supported in the Chrome mobile app
- After enabling the Live Caption feature in your browser settings, you must quit and relaunch Chrome for them to display
- If you close the captioning window, you must reload the webpage for them to reappear
- For further assistance with this feature, see Google Chrome Help
Adding Captions to Your Own Video Feed
You can use third-party video editing software to inject captions into your own video feed. We have had reports that using a combination of Web Captioner (free!) and Open Broadcaster Software (also free!) is one of the more user-friendly(ish) ways to do this.
If you want to try this, here’s how. (Please note: This info is provided for informational purposes only. Norwescon does not endorse either company, and does not officially support this solution, so if you have technical issues, we must refer you back to the help resources of Web Captioner or OBS.)
Before logging into Airmeet:
- Download and install OBS. We recommend optimizing it for virtual camera.
- Navigate to Web Captioner in your web browser and click Start Captioning. (For greater accessibility, we recommend adjusting your settings to use the OpenDyslexic font.)
- Launch OBS.
- Click Studio Mode (lower right) to display Preview and Program windows.
- Go to the Scenes window (lower left) and click the + to create a new scene.
- In the Sources window (lower, second from left), click the + to add sources.
- Add a Video Capture Device (your camera).
- Add a Window Capture (your web browser’s Web Captioner window).
- Adjust your windows.
- The Preview frame (upper left) allows you to move and resize your sources
- The Program window (upper right) lets you verify how your output will appear
- Use the slider bar in the Transitions window (upper middle) to display any updates to the Preview.
- Click the Start Virtual Camera button (lower right) to start sending OBS output to your camera.
Now, when you launch Airmeet, you should be able to select OBS Virtual Camera as one of your options.
OBS and Web Captioner Tips & Tricks:
- If you are asked to allow OBS to use your camera, allow it.
- You may need to restart OBS and your web browser after changing some settings.
- If Airmeet cuts off part of your window, you can use the Preview window in OBS to rearrange your camera and captions at any time. Just use the Transition slider to update your appearance.
- You may wish to launch Web Captioner in a new web browser window with no other tabs—your captions will disappear if you minimize its window or click to another tab.
- More info on OBS features can be found on the OBS Wiki.
- Help for Web Captioner can be found on the Web Captioner help page
If you are presenting programming at FIYAHCON, please be aware that, by considering the following, you may make it easier for others to enjoy your presentation:
- Make sure that your lips are visible to attendees, some of whom may read lips.
- Use high-color contrast in projected presentations. It makes your text easier to read.
- Consider captioning any audio and describing your images aloud.
- Warn audiences before flashing or strobe effects, and before sensitive content, in your presentations.
FIYAHCON does not tolerate harassment. If we find that you have violated this policy, we reserve the right to revoke your registration without refund, and all access to community and content spaces associated with the event. Harassment includes, without limitation:
- verbal, written, or otherwise transmitted comments and displayed images that are disrespectful or oppressive with respect to marginalized identities
- verbal, written, or otherwise transmitted comments and displayed images of an unsolicited sexual nature
- threats, intimidation and stalking
- other activities intended to create a hostile or otherwise unsafe environment for staff, attendees, hosts, and guests as determined by the victim and the Community Team
This Policy is implicated when the harassment, intimidation or discrimination is sufficiently severe or pervasive to deny or limit a person’s ability to participate in or benefit from FIYAHCON content. It is not necessary that the harassment, intimidation or discrimination have been directed specifically at any complaining party.
If you experience any harassment while at FIYAHCON, please notify our Community Team via email at community[at]theconvention.fiyahlitmag.com or by contacting the designated moderators in our social spaces. Before escalating to the Community Team, we encourage our attendees to request that the harasser cease unwanted activity such as uninvited communications which can presumably be attributed to misunderstanding. Egregious acts such as sexual harassment and overt behaviors intended to offend, threaten, or otherwise create a hostile environment may be reported directly.
Due to the nature of interpersonal grievances, we cannot accept anonymous complaints of harassment. However, all personal information shared with our Community Team is kept confidential and will not be shared for any reason without the victim’s written consent. FIYAHCON is fundamentally against escalations which may involve the over-use of government law enforcement, but will comply with the victim’s wishes should the offense be of such an egregious nature as to warrant it. Our policy also prohibits retaliation against a member of the FIYAHCON Community for reporting harassment, intimidation or discrimination and for participating in an investigation relating to same.
It is a violation of this Policy for a member of the FIYAHCON Community to knowingly or with reckless disregard for the truth make false claim of harassment, intimidation or discrimination. Failure to prove a claim of unlawful harassment is not, by itself, equivalent to a false claim.
Sanctions for Violation of Community Policy
When it has been determined that a violation of this Policy has occurred, the FIYAHCON Community Team Steering Committee will determine the appropriate sanction.
Should conduct believed to be in violation of this Policy occur at FIYAHCON, the Community Team, Steering Committee, employees, or volunteers in charge of the content space at the time of the conduct may take reasonable action to stop the apparent harassment and ensure the safety of participants.
Reasonable action may include, but is not limited to, verbal notification to the individual that the behavior believed to be in violation of this Policy should be discontinued immediately, and/or removal of the individual from the space. If action is taken, the person taking the action shall deliver a written report on the event incident (including a detailed narrative of the incident and the names of all persons involved and of any witnesses) to the Steering Committee and/or the FIYAHCON Director.
As supplements or alternatives to the sanctions of suspension or expulsion, one or more of the following non-exclusive actions may be taken:
- Warning one or more parties involved that specified behavior is inappropriate
- Requiring a formal apology on behalf of the complainant(s)
- Ejecting the offending party from the event foregoing all refunds
- Removing access to FIYAHCON spaces on a temporary or permanent basis
The Steering Committee may pursue an investigation in cases when the complainant is reluctant to proceed.
The FIYAHCON Steering Committee will make every reasonable effort to conduct all investigations into allegations of harassment, intimidation or discrimination in a manner that will protect the confidentiality of all parties. Notwithstanding the above, confidentiality is not absolute, and those with a legitimate business reason to know and to be informed of the allegations will be so informed. Parties to the complaint should treat the matter under investigation with discretion and respect for the reputation of all parties involved.